Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Creative Post - Suppose I tell you

The poetry group that I am in is focusing on the topic of 'Love and Tragedy'. This topic brought back so many memories of my Literature class in High school. In my senior year, we focused a lot on a Bahamian poet named Michael Pintard.  His collection of poems were published in a book called "Still Standing" which include poems about his love life, and his loss of love throughout his life. He is not grammatically correct most of the time which you may note, but this is the way Pintard includes the slang of the Bahamas into his writing.  I loved his style of writing, so much so, that I have his book at college now to look back on from time to time and to pull inspiration from. My favorite poem in his book is called "Suppose I tell you" and this poem uses the same repetition of the title but incorporates my own personal story into it.  I hope this touches you in some way.


Suppose I tell you

Suppose I tell you
that my heart has been yours,
since that breezy October evening,
when I gazed into your eyes,
and you into mine,
 I saw your soul,
 you saw mine,
You saw all my needs and my desires,
you saw your reflection,
but did you see us?

Suppose I tell you
that in that moment,
I saw my future,
I saw us,
growing old,
being happy, 
content with our life together,
and as we change,
our love never fades,
because I found you, 
and you found me,
but is this true love?

Suppose I tell you
that you give my life meaning,
there’s no distance too far,
for each day that passes,
is one day closer
 to the day we are together again,
but until that day we shall be patient,
for true love waits,
I will be waiting,
will you wait for me?

I hope that this encourages you to look into Michael Pintard's poetry and to possibly compare my poem this his and to note the contrast of our lives.  Maybe next year he will be included in the Love and Tragedy section of Introduction to Literature's Poetry Project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment