Sunday, March 20, 2011

Reflective Post – The Love of a Mother - "Lanyard"


“You don’t know what it is to love until you have a child.” I have heard this saying so many times throughout my life and often questioned love and what it is to love someone.  Love is defined as "a strong, positive emotion of regard and affection." As I reflect on the poem “Lanyard” written by Billy Collins, I think of my loving mother. She is my best friend, and someone I know will always be there for me when I need help. She encourages me to be the best that I can be.  My mother has spent innumerable nights caring for me when I was sick and loves me even if I make mistakes. A mother is selfless, caring and loving.  She bared the pain of childbirth, she wants the best for her children and tries her best to give them everything they need. Yet because she loves so much, she expects nothing in return.
I remember the moments as a child when I would give my mother a picture I drew or a simple note I wrote for her with such pride and happiness.  She always responded with a smile and a hug that overflowed with love for me. To this day my mother has kept many of those drawing and notes that I had written her when I was young. My mother, just like most mothers, never expected anything in return for her love and kindness. When she receives small tokens of appreciation she feels as though she is loved and blessed far more than her children that she selflessly and continuously loves on and cares for. Maybe the saying is right, love possibly does reach to another level when it is because of selfless love.
            This idea of selfless love makes me think of Christ’s love for us. His mercy and grace is limitless love for the world. The most well-known verse in the bible, John 3:16 says “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” This love is unfathomable! There is nothing that we can do that will ever be ample to repay Him, but he loves us the same. After all, God is Love.  1 John 4:8 says “Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love”. We should love one another as God loves us.
Therefore this means we should all love like mothers! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment