Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Scared of death?

Many people, including Christians, are afraid of death or afraid of dying. In fact, many people are consumed by the fear of death and dying. Is this what God wants us to worry about?

In the novel The Road, McCarthy writes about death and how “Nobody wants to be here and nobody wants to leave.” This fear is probably one of the most common fears in the world. As Christians, we are told not to worry about fears such as this, but most times our mind takes over. The father asks the old man “Do you wish you would die?” and he replies “No. But I wish I had died.” He goes on to say “when you’re alive you’ve always got that ahead of you”. This section on page 169 made me think about the common fear of dying and what I would do if I were the last person on earth.

            The bible tells us not to worry about or fear dying. God does not want anyone to be afraid of death or afraid of dying. “When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: "Death has been swallowed up in victory." "Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?" - 1 Corinthians 15:54-55.

We are told to trust God with everything. So why don’t we trust God with our fears? God knows our hearts and knows every piece of our minds. The bible also tells us that “If you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved” - Romans 10:9-10.

Over my last few blog posts I have been challenged with the thought of grief and death, which has been a fear I have struggled with.  As I have covered these topics, I have found that writing about them clarifies the idea and strengths my own heart and trust in the Lord. I hope it does the same for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment